Historic Homes & Tours



Bolduc House Museum - c1792

Designated as a National Historic Landmark by the National Trust for Historic Preservation and winner of the 2005 Preserve America Award, the 1785 Louis Bolduc Historic House is regarded as "the first most authentically restored Creole house in the Nation". Its poteaux-sur-sole, vertical-log walls and heavy oak timbered, double-pitched 'hip' roof were considered sophisticated construction for the time and employed to protect the French Canadian settlers from the elements. The house and grounds display original, accurately restored eighteenth century furnishings, including living quarters, stockade fence, a French herb garden and grape arbor of that early era. Owned and operated by the National Society of the Colonial Dames in America in the State of Missouri, the Bolduc House Museum is open daily (major holidays excepted) and admission includes tours of the house and grounds. Gifts and souvenirs may also be purchased at the museum's gift shop. Open daily.


Image: NSCDA
125 S Main St
Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670
Phone: 573-883-3105
Website: BolducHouse.org
Image: MO Div of Tourism

^ Back to Top

Bauvais-Amoureux House - 1792

Built around 1792 by Jean-Baptiste St. Gemme Bauvais, the Bauvais-Amoureux Historic House overlooks Ste. Genevieve's communal agricultural fields, le Grand Champ. Its upright cedar log walls are set directly into the earth in the rare poteaux-en-terre method of construction. Heavy, hand-hewn timbers form the Norman truss system which supports the steeply-pitched roof that is reminiscent of early French Canadian architecture. Purchased by Benjamin Amoureux in 1852, the house is now part of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources' Felix Vallé State Historic Site. The small admission charge includes tour, house models and a large, impressive diorama depicting the village of Ste. Genevieve as it was in 1832. Seasonal opening.


Image: MDNR
327 St Marys Rd
Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670
Phone: 573-883-7102
Website: Felix Vallé SHS
Image: B. Mueller

^ Back to Top

The Bequette-Ribault House - 1807/8

The Jean Baptiste Bequette House (historical name), also known as the Bequette-Ribault House, was built over-looking the Le Grand Champ agricultural fields in 1807-1808. This French creole poteaux en terre (posts in the ground) home is one of three such structures remaining in Ste. Genevieve and one of only five in the US. Much of the fabric of the house is intact. It is a medium-sized (about 36 feet long) creole house with a central chimney. The original hipped roof with king-post trusses and the encircling gallery was restored by the Wilhauk family in the 1980’s. This house is located at 351 St. Marys Rd and has recently been purchased for restoration with the intent of re-opening as a tour home.


Image: B. Mueller
351 St Marys Rd
Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670
Phone: NA
Website: NA
Image: B. Mueller

^ Back to Top

Jacques Guibourd Historic House - 1806

The Jacques Guibourd Historic House was constructed in 1806 in the poteaux-sur-sole style with vertical, hand-hewn log walls and double pitched roof. This important National Register site is the only historic house in Ste. Genevieve where the visitor can view and study 'up close', the Norman truss architecture employed at the time. The house displays a more refined rendition of the typical French Colonial residence in the era of Lewis and Clark and is finished with elegant French antiques. The museum is owned and operated by the Foundation for Restoration of Ste. Genevieve, Inc. as a memorial to its donor, Jules Felix Vallé. The Jacques Guibourd House gives discounts to members of organizations who participate in the Time Travelers Program. Admission includes a costumed docent-guided tour. Open daily April through the 1st weekend in December. Closed on all major holidays. Group tours at any time by appointment.


Image: B.Naeger
4th & Merchant Sts
Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670
Phone: 573-883-7544
Website: HistoricSteGen.org
          Image: MO Div of Tourism
^ Back to Top

Louisiana Academy - 1808

Image: F.Rolfe
5th & Washington Sts
Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670
Phone: 800-373-7007
The Louisiana Academy, founded by Father James Maxwell in 1807, was the first school publicly charted by the government of the Louisiana Territory to teach not only French settlers, but Native American and black students the French and English languages. The Louisiana Academy is a private residence. Group tours by appointment only.

^ Back to Top

Felix Vallé State Historic Site - 1818

This important Federal style limestone building features an authentically restocked mercantile store of the historic trading firm of Menard and Vallé. Built in 1818, this historic site was the home of one of Ste. Genevieve's premier colonial families, Felix and Odile Pratte Vallé. The house features the family's living quarters displaying beautiful early Empire furnishings with fully restored, original mantels and interior trim. An outside staircase on the back porch leads to fully furnished, second floor bedrooms. The charming garden features original brick and frame outbuildings. Admission includes guided tours. A gift shop is located on the site. Open daily March-October and Thursday thru Sunday November-February.


Image: MDNR
Merchant & 2nd Sts
Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670
Phone: 573-883-7102
Website: Felix Vallé SHS

^ Back to Top

Dr. Benjamin & Emlie 'Mammy' Shaw House - 1819

Constructed in 1819 by Jean Baptiste Bossier as a storehouse for his mercantile business, this white, wood-framed building was sold to a local physician and his wife, Dr. Benjamin and Emlie Shaw in 1837. Shaw made additions to the home including a kitchen building in the rear of the property. His wife, Emilie or 'Mammie' to the locals, lived in the residence for more than 50 years. A gift shop is located on the site.


Image: MDNR
Merchant & 2nd Sts
Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670
Phone: 573-883-7102
Website: Felix Vallé SHS
Image: MDNR

^ Back to Top

Bolduc-LeMeilleur House - 1820

The Bolduc-LeMeilleur House was built in 1820 by the grandson-in-law of Louis Bolduc. The brace frame structure with brick noggings is an interesting example of combined French and American influences on local architecture. It has been accurately restored and furnished with fine examples of early Federal pieces. Vintage herb and scented gardens of the early 19th century complement the house. Open April through October. Admission charge.


Image: NSCDA
123 S Main St
Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670
Phone: 573-883-3105
Website: BolducHouse.org
Image: NSCDA

^ Back to Top

  • Ste. Geneviève Lions Club
  • Ste. Geneviève Eagles
  • Ste. Geneviève Knights of Collumbus
  • Ste. Geneviève Elks Club
  • Ste. Geneviève American Legion
  • Ste. Geneviève VFW
HomeSite MapContact UsResource LinksWebsite DisclaimerTranslation DisclaimerAccessibility
City of Ste. Geneviève
Department of Tourism
66 South Main St.
Ste. Geneviève, Missouri 63670
Toll-free:
Local:
Fax:
800-373-7007
573-883-7097
573-883-3743
eMail:
© 2008-2014 Ste. Geneviève Department of Tourism. All Rights Reserved.