327 St Marys RdSte. Geneviève, MO 63670
Call us at 573-883-7102Open seasonally
Built around 1792 by Jean-Baptiste St. Gemme Beauvais, the Beauvais-Amoureux Historic House overlooks Ste. Geneviève’s communal agricultural fields, le Grand Champ.
Its upright cedar log walls are set directly into the earth in the rare “poteaux-en-terre” or “posts-in-the-earth” architecture method of construction. Heavy, hand-hewn timbers form the Norman truss system which supports the steeply-pitched roof that is reminiscent of early French Canadian architecture.
This vertical log home was purchased by Benjamin Amoureux in 1852 and later inherited by his wife Pelagie. Visit Pelagie Amoureux to hear her story. This house is now part of the National Park Service. Tour a display explaining how vertical log buildings were constructed and a large, impressive diorama depicting the village of Ste. Geneviève as it was in 1832! Free
A bit about the house