99 South Main StreetSte. Geneviève, MO 63670
Call us at 573-880-7189Contact the National Park Service for availability
The Jean-Baptiste Vallé House is a large and imposing example of the “poteaux-sure-solle” (post on sill) construction. In the 1850s and 1860s, subsequent owners of the house remodeled it to conform to American tastes. In the 1960s, descendants of Leon Vion, who purchased the property in 1867, restored the house to its pre-1850 appearance.
Jean-Baptiste Vallé was the commandant of this area at the time the United States purchased the Louisiana Territory eliminating that French/Spanish position. Built in 1794, this house served as both a government center and home. Today it is operated by the National Park Service and is open when rangers are available.